Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Week 9 Storytelling: Dazed and Confused

Dear Diary,

I know I have gone on and on many a time to you, dearest diary about how amazing and beautiful my wife is. But, she is. She is the most beautiful woman that I have every laid my eyes on. Her voice is like the north wind on a hot day, refreshing and pleasing. Her hair is as soft as the mossy banks of an old river, and as long as a stalk of wheat. And oh, how she moves like a river, graceful and lovely on a calm day and brash and tumultuous when she is hyped up. Before I pull myself off topic talking about how amazing she is again, I would like to say that she is pregnant with my child and I could not be happier! Even with my wife’s quirks that I am not allowed to question, I find myself to be the happiest man right now.

Signing off happily for today,
Santanu


About 9 months later

Dear Diary,

Today my wife gave birth to our child. Yes, I know I should be overcome with joy. However, she then took it out of this palace and drowned it in the river. I am in shock as to why she could do such a thing. She returned to me acting as if nothing had happened, as if the child hadn’t existed in the first place. Oh, why can I not ask her why she has done such a thing? I made her that idiotic promise that I would never question her about any of her actions. Yet, she has gone and killed our child. There must be a reason she has done this, right? If I am not allowed to question her actions, there must be a reason behind them. No matter how crazy that reason may be. Oh, how will I heal from this pain of losing my child?

Moping and regretful I will be,
Santanu


About 6 years later

Dear Diary,

She has done it yet again. My beautiful wife has drowned our seventh child in the river. I have gotten to a point where I cannot even be happy when I learn that she is with child. I have become numb to my child growing in her womb throughout those long nine months. I love my wife; I love her quite a bit actually. But, I want to know why she is doing this. But of course, I had to make that stupid promise to never question her acts. I can’t take it anymore, though. I love her, even with this crazy quirk of hers and she will forever be the most beautiful woman that I have ever seen. I want a child, though. I want someone to carry on my name, but I doubt that I will ever have that happen. Instead, my wife will only continue to kill every child that we conceive. So, I’ve had it. If we are to conceive another child, I will stop her and finally ask her why she has been drowning our children. Screw the consequences; I don't care if she leaves me for asking her about it. I love her, but I also want to love a child. 

Biting my tongue for now,
Santanu

About 1 year later

Dear Diary,

I feel stupid. As you know, my beautiful wife and I had conceived another child and she was due to give birth today. And she did. So, living up to the promise I had made myself when our last child had been born, I went to stop her from drowning it. I knew there would be consequences and she would be angry, but I just didn’t care. I then learned that she had been drowning our children for a reason, and that she is actually Ganga. Yeah… You would think that after this many years of marriage, I would have known about that, right? Not at all. So, she is gone. Obviously it was because I went against my promise, but she swore that she would return my son to me one day. I think I’m walking out of this situation as a winner, right?

Still confused,

Santanu

Image Information: Santanu meets Ganga; Web Source: Wikimedia Commons.



Author's Note:
One day while by a river, Santanu whom is the ruler of a kingdom, comes across a very beautiful woman. He instantly falls in lover with her, and she also falls in love with him. So, he asks her to marry him and she agrees only if her never questions anything that she does. He promises. So, they then have a child, which the woman drowns in the river, then as they conceive six more children she does the same thing. When the eighth child is born, Santanu breaks his promise and asks her what she is doing. She reveals that she is Ganga, and that their children were deities which had been cursed in their past life, which was why she was killing them. She then leaves with the child, promising Santanu she would return it to him one day.
I thought this was a very interesting way to start a story, and wanted to get into Santanu’s head and what he must have thought about the entire situation, so I decided it would be fun to write a diary from his perspective.
Bibliography:

4 comments:

  1. I really liked that you used Santanu's diary entries for this storytelling assignment. It was a great way to get inside the characters head and understand what he is feeling as his children are killed one after another. You did a great job capturing his emotions, particularly in the third entry about how the deaths of so many children had affected him.
    There were just a couple of little things that I noticed while reading your post. In the first line I think there needs to be a comma after 'dearest diary' as well. The only other little thing was in the author's note, in the second line it said, 'falls in lover with her'. These were the only two tiny typos I notices. Overall the story was very well written and I enjoyed reading it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first diary-styled story re-telling I have read yet, and I enjoyed it! It digs deeper into Santanu's feelings and thoughts, giving the reader a unique understanding of him. I love how you spaced his entries out by the big events that occurred between himself and Ganga: their union and her drowning their children.


    In the first paragraph you accidentally typed "every" instead of "ever".
    In the author's note, I noticed you typed "her" instead of "he" ("if her never questions anything that she does.")

    Wonderful writing and what a great story to retell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you wrote about this story also. It was such a huge, strange story to open a book with that it stuck with me. The idea of diary entries is so creative. I was actually also leaning toward that storytelling method. Santanu’s ideas and thoughts weren't really expressed in the book so I’m glad a few of us decided to take the liberty to do so ourselves. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so brilliant! I never thought about writing it in a "diary" format as my storytelling post. I hope you won't mind if I use this idea for my future storytelling posts! It was really smart to write all that was going on in his mind during this time, something I was curious about too, so you did a very good job with that. Very creative, good job!

    ReplyDelete