Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Commenting Review Week

For this class, I do feel like I am connecting pretty well with my other classmates. It is nice to comment on people's posts that I have commented on in the past because I can tell that a lot of people have improved their writing and found the styles that really work for them in this class. Or, I can really realize whether or not you do enjoy my writings. And, sometimes I can find connections with things they have written in the past.

The comments that I have found the most useful on my blog posts are the ones that remind me to do a better job proofreading. Or, the ones that give me tips on how to improve the story. They are especially helpful when it comes to my Storybook. I do also like the comments that just talk about how much they liked the story because it gives me the encouragement and pushes me to want to write more.

When I leave a short comment, I generally try to explain why I did or did not like the story. Or, I will make some kind of connection with either the story or the characters in the story. When I write long comments, I comment on the logistics of the writing. I will talk about their sentence variation, their word choice, their use of punctuation, etc. I am much more analytical in my long comments than in my short ones.

The hardest part about writing comments for me is when I have to get really critical with my comments. I hate criticizing people for the work that they do, so it is hard for me to actually make myself tell them what may not have worked in their writing. The easiest part of responding for me though, is making connections to the story or their characters and telling them what I liked about it.

Although I am a communication major where writing and improving on writing is critical, we do not comment on each other's work. I generally just go off of the comments that my professors leave for me when it comes to writing papers and such.

When I am revising my work from my comments, I think about whether the comments are actually something I want to incorporate. I also double check to make sure that what they are correcting me on it actually something that needs to be corrected. I do take every comment into consideration when editing my writing, or when writing stories in general.

Image Information: Inspiring Picture; Web Source: Flickr.



2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the commenting aspect of this class! I think it helps us get to know the other students. I enjoyed reading your commenting review because comments that I have received from you have been particularly helpful in my writing for this class! I agree with you that the comments that remind me to do better on proof reading are helpful. Even though I proof read, comments sometimes show me that I need to be more cautious and take more time to go over my work to make sure that it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the way this class is set up. Being an online class, it is usually hard to engage with other students, but this class allows you to communicate with the class mates and help with each other with writing. Comments from other students definitely allows individual to improve on their writing. I love the picture you posted because I totally agree with the quote!

    ReplyDelete