Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Week 10 Storytelling: Hunter's (Not Quite) Delight

I had always had a passion for hunting. The game of sneaking through the forest and searching for animals had always been a thrilling exercise for me. However, because of the busy life I lived, I often times could not actually fulfill my desire to hunt.

However, one night, I got my chance. Everyone was sleeping, and I did not have anything that I needed to do in the morning. Well… anything important, that is. So, I decided to sneak off and find a plump thrush or hare in the woods. I’d had a bad feeling about it, you know, the kind that you get before something out of your control happens. But, I pushed it off. I was a warrior, so whatever happened to me would most likely be something I could fight off anyways.

I had my bow in hand, and I was deep in the woods. Hearing something to my left, I attempted to pinpoint it. However, whatever it was, it was gone before I could find it. Crouching down further, I closed my eyes and tried to hone my senses—my warrior senses—hoping that I could find something that was near to me. I could not return to my bed tonight without getting a kill; that would just be embarrassing, after all.

Hearing a river that was not too far off, I crept towards it. I expected that I would be able to find an animal there, quenching their thirst under the clear sky of the night. And there I saw buck, beautiful and marvelous, so I quickly grabbed an arrow from my quiver and I took a shot. But, some loud noise in the bushes behind the magnificent creature scared it off.

With a groan, I stepped closer to the water. Rats, what was so big in those woods that it was able to scare off my prey? Then, I heard a noise again. And the being did in fact sound rather large. It was also coming out of the woods, close to me. I don’t know what came over me then. It could have been fear, maybe panic. Whatever it was, I’m not sure. But what I do know, is that I panicked for a moment before pulling out another arrow and shooting in the direction of that noise.

I heard something drop to the ground, and went to find what it was, but a voice stopped me. Some old man was yelling in the woods.

“My cow! Oh, my poor cow, who could do such a thing to my blessed cow?”

Realizing I had made a mistake—a very bad mistake—I ran deeper into the woods to where the man was. Before me was a hermit, kneeling next to a cow that was bleeding out. He was visibly upset, and turned to give me one of the most horrifying looks of anger that I have received even to this day. I opened my mouth to apologize, but he cut me off before I could say anything.

“I curse you!” He cried. “One day, while you are in the middle of a moment very critical to your life, the earth will open up and swallow one of the wheels of your chariot.”


Taken aback, I tried to apologize, offer him a new cow, money, anything. However, he accepted none of it. I did in fact feel quite bad about the idea, but nothing I did would console or please the man. So, I walked away and returned to my bed, now cursed and regretful. Maybe I should have listened to my gut feeling, and stayed in my bed tonight.

Image Information: A Cow; Web Source: Wikimedia Commons.


Author's Note:
I love reading stories about Karma, and if you’ve read my Storybook then you know I also like telling them. So, when I read in The Mahabharata about how Karna was cursed by a hermit, I wanted to tell it. In the epic, Karna goes out hunting and accidentally shoots a cow, so the owner of the cow whom was a hermit grows so angry that he lays a curse on Karna for killing his beloved cow. I know that cows are sacred in India, so killing a cow would lead to much more negative Karma than just from the old man.

I wanted to tell the story in a first-person narrative so that we could see why Karna was out hunting in the first place. I also wanted to show why he accidentally killed the cow, and that it was in fact an accident. It reminded me of another Storytelling I did from The Ramayana.

Bibliography:
  • Story Based Off Of Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.
  • Image Retrieved from Wikimedia Commons

8 comments:

  1. Hey Lynze, I really liked your story this week. It was very suspenseful because I did not remember reading this part within the book. I think that you set the story up nicely by having it in the first person perspective. I felt like I completely understood the character and the reason for his actions, Overall, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this story to the fullest. I remember reading this part in the epic, and Narayan only hinted at why Karna forgot his mantra and had gotten his wheel stuck in a time of desperation. You did well in thinking of every aspect that needed to be explained in your tale, and you did so well I did not have any questions about the plot when I was done reading. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoyed reading your version of this event in The Mahabharata. I was not sure, at first, what story you were telling, but by the end of the story it had clicked and I recognized the tale. You did a great job of portraying Karna's version of events and his remorse for accidentally shooting the cow with his arrow.

    The story serves as a reminder that is important to think before you act, because one small mistake can lead to even bigger consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynze,

    What a great story! I love the personal twists that you used. It was interesting to see why Karna was out hunting in the first place. Your writing is very clear and concise, which made your story that much better. I also really like the image you picked! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I missed this weeks readings so I cannot comment on what is different. Loved your story nonetheless. It was suspenseful and left me wanting more. I can’t wait to get caught up on the original story and see what changes you made. This story even brought up a lesson my mother has taught us. The ripple effect…what choices you make now effect those you can make later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynze, I really enjoyed reading this story. I, as well as some others it seems, was confused at the beginning but I did eventually figure out which story you were telling. I thought it was very easy to read and had no real plot questions that you did not explain. Great story overall! I look forward to reading more of your work over the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lynze, I enjoyed reading your story this week! It was a little confusing at first but then once I read on I started to understand it better. Your story was very suspenseful and I was eager to read more and more! Overall I really like your story and I think you did a great job. I can’t wait to read more of your stories later on!

    ReplyDelete