Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Essay: Knowing Buddha

For this week, I read TheLife of Buddha in the Un-Textbook. I really enjoyed reading this compilation of stories because I have always wanted to know more about Siddhartha and the origin of Buddha. I have seen the movie “The Little Buddha” and have always wanted to know more.

I really liked this reading and enjoy that it was in fact part of the Un-Textbook. Buddha is such a well known being around the world, I am sure that nearly everyone with computer or television access knows about it. I liked having the chance to understand the being just a little more and learning about such a crucial aspect of Asian religions.

The amount of notes was really good, and I did not require any extra information than what was provided. It would have been nice to read the section where Siddhartha gets married and has a child, but it was still fine without it. There were no stories that I disliked in this part of the Un-Textbook either. I enjoyed all of the stories in this section. There was also not any information that I felt I should have known before reading this story.

I feel like this contributed to my learning goals in this class very well. My goal was to learn more about Indian tradition, culture, and religion. Since Buddha is such a big part of Indian religion, it contributed to my learning goal. I now know more about what I wanted to know, after reading this and the two epics that we read for the class.


I think it would be cool to have the other parts of this story to read. That way, after reading this part I could go on and read more about Siddhartha’s journey and life so that I may learn more about him. It would be nice to have a continuous section of reading during the times of using the Un-Textbook.

Image Information: Siddhartha Leaves His Life Behind Him; Web Source: Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment