Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 2 Reading Diary A: Starting The Ramayana


When it came to starting The Ramayana I did not know what to expect. I really liked how Narayan tells the story from the viewpoint of those who told the story before him by adding in side notes and explanations. I feel myself growing confused at times because there are so many characters to keep track of, so I have to continuously find reference so that I can stay on track with what is happening. I thought it was kind of funny that Indra was given a body full of female genitals (page 20); it was quite unexpected for such an epic to have that kind of detail. However, it was nice that Guatama forgave him after a while and turned his body into one that was filled with eyes. I also liked the scene where Rama and Sita see each other for the first time and instantly fall in love; it was reminiscent of the kind of scene you would see in books and movies of today’s times (page 23). When Kooni began devising a plan to get Kaikeyi’s son Bharatha on the throne, I felt myself grown angry with the woman for telling Kaikeyi such things in order for her to stop from supporting Rama taking the throne (page 37). Rama is such a likable character who seems completely unselfish. He is willing to banish himself from the kingdom when asked to, and does not question his stepmother when she speaks for his father in telling him he must leave (page 45). He even tries to stop Sita from coming with him because he doesn’t want her to have to live such a life in the forest with him (page 53), which really shows how much he loves her, but also how valiant he is.


I really like the relationship between Rama and Lakshmana, they have such a close, brotherly bond.
Rama and Lakshmana. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment