Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Harrisonburg and Richmond, Virginia: My Favorite Places

Last April, I had the privilege of being named one of the top two persuasive speakers in Oklahoma for competitive speech and received the opportunity to travel to Virginia for a national tournament. The tournament was held in Harrisonburg, Virginia at James Madison University and that week in Virginia had me falling in love with the state. We flew into Richmond and made the hour and a half drive to Harrisonburg just so that we could get a taste of both great cities.

My speech coach is an absolute foodie, so when we go on the road, he always finds the best places to eat. Virginia definitely did not disappoint. There was a restaurant called Edo's Squid in Richmond, that had the best calamari I have ever eaten, but man, I just love seafood. There was also a delicious Cuban place we went to in Harrisonburg, that had Cuban sodas and burgers that were of course delicious. And then there was The Roosevelt in Richmond which had more soul food, and it was such a cute place.
Image Information: personal photo of food from Edo's Squid; photo from April 2014. 

Image Information: personal photo of food from Edo's Squid; photo from April 2014.
Image Information: personal photo of Cuban food; photo from April 2014.

Image Information: personal photo of food from The Roosevelt; photo from April 2014.
Image Information: personal photo of The Roosevelt; photo from April 2014.
It wasn't only the restaurants that I fell in love with. The weather was beautiful the entire time, and the buildings were just as beautiful.
Image Information: personal photo of James Madison University; photo from April 2014. 
 Look how beautiful that campus is, I almost wished I could have transferred there!
Image Information: personal photo of a Harrisonburg church; photo from April 2014.
The beauty of this church came to life as the sun started setting!
Image Information: personal photo of the Harrisonburg capital building; photo from April 2014. 
I thought that the capital building against that sky looked magical!

And Richmond was even more beautiful, with murals painted on the walls, an old train station, and even just the houses downtown! 

Image Information: personal photo of a Richmond mural; photo from April 2014. 

Image Information: personal photo of a Richmond house; photo from April 2014. 

Image Information: personal photo of a Richmond train station; photo from April 2014. 


Image Information: personal photo of a Richmond mural; photo from April 2014. 
Image Information: personal photo of a Richmond mural; photo from April 2014. 

Image Information: personal photo of a Richmond mural; photo from April 2014. 
I loved my trip to Virginia, and it definitely became one of my favorite places. I long to go back and visit again!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, your post is making me hungry, Lynze! And I actually live not all that far from Richmond (I live in NC near Virginia border, pretty much due north of Durham)... so now I have ideas for where to eat there! And so many beautiful pictures, too; I love the one of the lion mural! Someone I know online does great photos of street art; you might like his blog: Bill Benzon: Graffiti/Photos overview - and here's a cool new post - I think that kind of stuff is fascinating! Thanks for sharing all these pictures here!

    ReplyDelete