Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 3 Reading Diary A: Rama and the Monkeys

  • ·      I liked how the chapter started out with the author telling us a little bit of background on the chapter before he starts it off. I also liked that he begins explaining the animal races because I has been wondering when the monkeys and such would be explained and come into the story (page 90).
  • ·      I feel bad for Sugreeva, he just did whatever his advisors told him to do, and Vali punished him horribly. And now he is in the same position Rama is in, banished and without his wife (pages 92-94). 
  • ·      Of course Rama has his crazy archery ability and shot an arrow through not only seven massive tree trunks, but seven worlds and seas, and it returned to him (pages 94 and 95).
  • ·      I can tell why this chapter is deemed to be controversial with Rama taking revenge on Vali whom has done him no harm. I thought it was strange though, that he did not shoot him with the arrow until he had almost killed Sugreeva (pages 99 and 100).
  • ·      I love how karma was brought into the story. Rama thinks back to when he had treated Kooni unkindly when he’d been a child, and as a result he was punished for it by Kooni herself who’s actions led Rama to being banished (page 106).
  • ·      I felt myself growing angry at Sugreeva for not coming to Rama’s aid as he had promised, only to find out that he was lost in pleasures (pages 110 and 111). But of course, he wizened up and sent the army after all.
  • ·      Poor Sampathi having to find out that Jatayu had died as he did, though I was glad that he was able to help the search party, and that his wings grew back so that he could fly away again (page 119).
Image Information: Vali and Sugreeva's Fight; Web Source: Wikipedia.



No comments:

Post a Comment