Thursday, January 15, 2015

Indian Epics Overview

Indian history and culture is completely new to me. I have never really learned about it in any of my other classes before. However, I have always been interested in different mythology (mostly Greek and Japanese) so I decided that it would be fun to also learn about Indian stories. The most I have learned about India in any class, was when we watched Little Buddha my Freshman year of high school and learned about Siddhartha, so I haven't learned much about it, if any at all.

The only Epics I have actually read are Beowulf, and The Odyssey which were both read in high school. I do watch Game of Thrones but that is the only epic-based television that I really watch.

There are some Indian characters that I recognize when I see them, but I cannot recall the names when I see them, nor do I know their importance. Looking at the link provided, I recognize Ganesha, Rama, Sita, Lakshmana, and Ravana.

Image Information: Ganesha Carving in Temple. Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
I chose the image of the Ganesha carving because I have seen this image before (probably on Tumblr) and this Lord is the one that appears in my mind most often when I think of Indian Tales. 

Of course since I haven't learned much about Indian Epics, I don't have any interests as of yet, besides learning about who the characters that I can recognize in sculptures and paintings are. I hope that once we start reading from the textbooks then that will change, and that my interests will soon develop and expand into certain areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment