Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Storytelling for Week 2: Ravana in Love

He was at it again…

Vayu, Yama, and Agni watched their roommate Ravana as he went about doing rather strange tasks. However, it hadn’t been the first time they had seen the man do these kinds of things. The first time had been when he had failed a class, the second time had been when he had a twenty paged paper due in nine hours that he hadn’t even began at that point, and the third time had been when he had stayed up for 50 hours straight playing videogames. This was the fourth time in a year and it was tiring, yet they had already signed a housing contract to live with him next year as well.

What was he doing, you ask? Quite bizarre things.

He couldn’t decide whether or not he wanted the fan in his bedroom to be on or off. He said he was too cold when it was on, and too hot when it was off.

He couldn’t stand still. He had been pacing the entire apartment since early this morning after he had gotten back from the gym.

He kept turning his light on and off again. He was either being given too much light from the thing, or not enough at all.

In short, he was irrational.

“We must figure out what it wrong with him this time. I can’t deal with him when he is like this,” Agni muttered in annoyance.

“Who will do it, though?” Yama asked, looking at the other two men wearily.

Suddenly, Agni had his finger to his nose, “The nose goes,” he claimed, and Yama followed in suit.

Vayu huffed, “That’s not fair, guys. I had to talk him down from this last time.” The other two didn’t care, though. Yama was the long-winded one after all. He was good at talking.

With another huff, Vayu approached Ravana cautiously. “My roommate, whatever is the matter?”

“Can you quiet down? Your voice is much too loud,” Ravana snapped, flipping his light switch and then his switch for the fan yet again.

“I’m sorry, but we’re worried about you,” Vayu responded, this time in a whisper.

Stomping his foot, Ravana glared at the other, “What is wrong with you, man? Your voice is much too soft, speak with more gusto!”

Vayu felt like slapping the other man. “Ravana, what is wrong? Are you having trouble with school, again?”

“No, of course not!” Ravana snapped. “It is only the fourth week of the semester, my grades are fine!”

“Then what’s wrong if it isn’t school?” Vayu persisted; he was going to settle this so that Ravana would calm down.

“It’s her. While I was at the gym, I heard about a…a… goddess. I heard her voice, and I heard the other men speak of her, but I did not lay my eyes on her face. I do know that she is the most beautiful woman in the world, though.”

Shaking his head, Vayu crossed his arms. All this for a woman? Ridiculous. “If you didn’t even see her, then how could you know? You are being irrational, and it's possible that you could never even see her again.”

Clasping a hand on the other man’s shoulder, Ravana got very close to him with a serious expression. “A man just knows. She is the one, and I love her already. The others said that she has been at the gym every Tuesday morning this month around the same time. And I have to see her and ask her to be my girlfriend!”

Ravana could definitely be irrational at times, and this was definitely one of them. He was already in love with this woman and he hadn’t even seen her yet. Vayu knew he was crazy, but the only way to calm his roommate would be to let him work this out whether through seeing the woman again, or letting it out of his system through his bizarre antics. “Alright, then. Make sure to go to the gym at that time next week and find her. Do you know her name?”

“Yes, yes I do,” Ravana replied with gusto, “Her name is Sita, a beautiful name for a beautiful soul.”

Vayu nodded, “Okay, then. Next week, go and ask this Sita out and she will hopefully say yes.” Or at least he hoped that she would say yes so that his roommate would calm down and be normal again for a while.


Ravana did seem to calm down a little, and there was a longing in his eyes. “I will do that. By this time next week, Sita will be mine!” 

Standard Gym. Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

Author's Note:
During The Ramayana, Ravana learns of Sita from his sister as a ploy to get him to take out Rama for her. She tells him about Sita’s beauty and expresses how wonderful she is to him. Ravan then falls deeply in love with her and begins to become incredibly indecisive and frankly, nearly crazy. It disturbs the gods that he has captive within his palace because he is practically taking it out on them.

I really liked this part of The Ramayana, and when I read it I thought that it sounded like a typical college student when they have some sort of large discovery and don't know what to do with themselves (of course not as drastically as Ravana, though). I pretty much wanted to make a story that would make people laugh and think of friends who have done the same kinds of things Ravana was doing in his pining for love.


Instead of his sister telling him about Sita, I thought Ravana could learn of her at the gym because I see posts on social media about people pining over other at the gym all the time. Since the three gods already live in Ravana's palace, I thought they would make good roommates. Since he learned about Sita at the gym and isn't going to war with Rama in thanks to his sister, I thought I would leave that out. Perhaps he could go to war with Rama after learning he is already Sita's boyfriend, though.

Bibliography:

The image is what I imagine when I think of a standard gym, it was found at Wikimedia Commons

Story retold from pages 74-78: 
Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic.




5 comments:

  1. Lynze,

    this was an interesting take on the story of Ravana becoming obsessed with Sita! The way you had a formal dialogue with a more contemporary setting made me think of movies that do Shakespeare stories, keeping the speaking style but bringing the setting into modern times (Think 'Romeo and Juliet' starring Leo DiCaprio). I thought you could have gone even farther with it and made it more comical - when I read the original story, that's how I played it out in my mind! But I enjoyed what you did with it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynze! Your story was so fun to read, I loved how you made Ravana's pining after Sita so adolescent. Since you made your story modern I suggest that you could put a little more social media stuff into your story to poke fun at it. I feel like adding Ravana subtweeting about Sita or Facebook stalking her would bring a lot to your setting! You also might want to proofread the story out loud. For instance, in the first sentence that Agni speaks it should be "figure out what IS wrong" instead of "figure out what it wrong". That's just a small error that can't be caught with just spell check! I like how you made the retelling of the story more original by having it take place in a gym, but I'm having a little trouble believing that Ravana wouldn't be able to see Sita in a place full of mirrors. Maybe you could think of way that his vision would be obstructed when trying to check her out! Overall, I thought your story was really cute! I love reading about a lovesick Ravana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your story! The title caught me, because I am a sucker for a good love story. I liked that you gave the story a modern day twist. I’m pretty sure we all get a little crazy when we fail a class or have a twenty-page paper due in 9 hours.

    The direct dialog for the characters was great. My favorite would have to be the dialog based on who should confront Ravana. It is exactly how my friends and I would handle the situation. I also enjoyed the part where Ravana starts describing a goddess and hearing her voice. It’s very dreamy.

    The ending left me wanting more! The way he talks out his problem with his friend is perfect. That’s what friends do. What happens next week at the gym! Does he ask Sita out?! Does she say yes? I need answers! Great modern twist on this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is great! I really like the twist you put on it, and you definitely seemed to tap into the inner character of a college guy with Ravana and all the gods. The setting of the gym and a house full of guys worked perfectly for this story!

    The "nose goes" part was extremely clever, and made me laugh. Also, Ravana's back and forth attitude was well written and definitely seems to match with the original story.

    I definitely enjoyed reading this story, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynze,

    I really enjoyed this story! I love how you took the story out of the Epic, and changed it to be interpreted into modern times. This adds a fun twist to the story, as well as gives us all something that is more fun and exciting to read. There were a few grammatical errors that I noticed, but they were minor. I think it was hilarious how you incorporated the other characters as his roommates, because I have definitely had these kinds of conversations with people. I'm sure that we can all relate. Ravana's character was fun to look at as a teenager, as opposed to the creepy demon he is in the Epic. I really like your blog, and how you have it put together. Good job on that, as well as the story! Keep it up!

    -Dakota

    ReplyDelete