Thursday, January 22, 2015

Possible Storybook Topics

1)   Possible Topic: Karma
I have always been interested in the concept of karma, and I am a strong believe in the power of it. I think that it would be interesting for me to further my research into the topic so that I can understand it even better. I know that I could make some good stories out of the concept of karma coming around to punish people who have done wrong, or rewarding those who have done well. I am also a Libra, so I love the concept of balance.
Research So Far:
I looked at the Wikipedia links that were given in the topics guide. I always forget that karma can carry into your next life under the belief of the Hindu. I learned that it is not fate itself, and in fact translates to words like “deed” and “act” in the English language. I also didn’t know that karma is divided into three categories, and that there are beings whom control karma’s effects.
2)   Possible Topic: Dharma
I have always heard the word “dharma” but I never quite knew what it was. Curious, I decided to look at it as one of the Storybook topics, and I found myself to be very interested in it. I really like the concept of dharma as must as I like the concept for karma, so I would really enjoy looking more into it.
Research So Far:
Again, I looked at the Wikipedia link given on the topics page so that I could learn about it. I also looked at the About page that was given. I learned that dharma is like karma, but had a broader effect, it is worldwide instead of linked to a single person, and it asks that people do their part in order to keep the world in balance. But it can of course be linked to the individual as well.
3)   Possible Topic: Minor Gods (Probably Agni or Yama)
Whenever I learn about mythology from other countries, I have always been more interested in learning about the minor gods than I have about the main gods. I feel like the minor gods are where I generally find the stories that I enjoy the most. I also feel that since there are so many minor gods, it would be interesting to choose one for the Storybook project. When it comes to picking a minor god, I would probably pick between Agni or Yama.
Research So Far:
I looked at the two Wikipedia links that were given for both Yama and Agni. I enjoy the fact that Agni serves two purposes, as the god of fire and as a messenger. I also learned that Agni had three different births, each at a different level of being: heaven, earth, and mid-space. I learned that Yama is the god who keeps track of dharma and the deeds of the people on earth. Yama also has a twin sister that sometimes appears in the epics, and Yama’s name even means “twin”.

Image Information: Agni God of Fire; Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

4)   Possible Topic: Saraswati
I did not know who Saraswati was until I was looking at the pages of the minor gods and clicked on a link in one of those pages. Once I read about her, I enjoyed her and decided that I would like to learn more about her. Since she is the goddess of music, arts, and learning I felt the need to learn more about her. I have always been interested in the arts having been classically voice trained, I played violin for five years, I have been in speech and debate for seven years, and I have acted since middle school. So, since I am into the arts, I wanted to learn more about the goddess of the arts.
Research So Far:

From her Wikipedia page, I learned that she posses powers of purity and healing. She is often seen sitting on a white lotus and a musical instrument, which symbolizes her purity and her part in being the goddess of the arts. The instrument that she is playing, which is often a lute or a veena also represents the sciences as well. She is often also seen around a peacock, and I love peacocks.

Image Information: Saraswati with Instrument and Peacock; Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment