Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary A: Starting Buck's Ramayana

  • One of the first things that struck me about this version was how much more poetic it seems to be. As if it is actually being told from a storyteller in the days before books were written.
  •  There is also much more detail in this version. For example, you get to see the thoughts and actions of the gods. And it explains in more detail the appearances of the four brothers.
  • It also really struck me the way that this story started out. It was much different than the other version. It was also a bit sad to know that Rama had banished a pregnant Sita.
  • Wow, I didn’t realize how crazy the beginnings and battle of the rakshasas were. Ravana has quite the power, I was glad when Shiva put him in his place for a while (page 35). 
  • I also thought it was amusing to see the interaction between Nandin and Ravana, and how he cursed Ravana to be killed by a monkey such as her was (page 34). 
  • Because I love peacocks, and folklore about how animals acquired certain characteristics, I found the part where the gods bless the animals they hid as to be interesting (page 36). 
  • There are a lot more names and characters to keep track of in this version.
  • Rama was taught to call up celestial weapons, which he can just call up anytime he thinks of them? What? That’s cool (page 49). 
  • I was disappointed that Buck did not tell of Sita seeing Rama for the first time and falling in love with him.
Image Information: Ravana; Web Source: Wikimedia Commons.



No comments:

Post a Comment