Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary B: Rama's Exile

  • The hunchback that serves Kaikeyi has a different name in this version, which I found to be weird and a bit confusing that her name is now Manthara. Though I did like that Buck explained that she did in fact have quite a bit of evil inside of her before she even spoke to Kaikeyi.
  • They mentioned Rama shooting Manthara in the hump with a play arrow (page 65). I need to keep that in mind for my possible Storybook stories about karma.
  • It still makes me made that Rama agreed to go so willingly, without any fight. Everyone begged him to stay, but he chose to leave simply because his father wished it because Kaikeyi did. I know I would be very angry had someone just turned my life around so suddenly like that. It also speaks volumes that Rama explained how much bad there was out in the world that he was going into so that Sita would not want to follow, even though he himself was about to walk into that danger (page 73).
  • They speak a lot more about Dharma in this version (page 80).
  • I enjoyed the story in this version about Dasaratha using Guha’s woods and knowing how to speak the language of the animals (page 95).
  • The story of Rama’s exile from the time he leaves the palace, until Lakshmana builds the house is much longer in this version. Though it was nice to read all of the other side stories from the characters along their way.
Image Information: Kaikeyi in the Anger Room; Web Source: Wikimedia Commons.



No comments:

Post a Comment