Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Storytelling for Week 4: The Boy in the Forest


The rainy season was always the hardest.

Often times it left him stranded inside with his poor parents for days, and they would have to rely on rations to live during that time. Both of his parents were blind and lame, so they depended quite heavily on him. It was during those times of relentless rain that he gave every morsel of food to his poor, blind parents. He would then trick them into thinking he had eaten with them, because they needed the nourishment more than he did, so what was a little white lie?

After nearly a week of rain, it finally stopped as the sun began setting on the horizon. If he didn’t leave now, then it may start again and they would soon run out of food. He knew it was dangerous to go out in the dark, but he had to do it.

So, the boy bid his parents goodbye and left their small hut. He would need to collect some water and then hunt for food. Maybe while he was out he could enjoy himself a bit, swim in the shallow part of the river and stretch his limbs. Though before he had set out his parents had warned him against swimming in the river at night, so he decided to follow their advice.

Kneeling at the edge of the river, he pulled out his water jar and filled it. Though suddenly, he heard the sound of something flying towards him, and then realized that he was suddenly in quite a bit of pain.

“Oh, night, who has killed me?” He cried as the pain spread throughout his entire body and his clothes began growing wet and warm with his blood.

Within moments, a figure was by his side. Was that, Prince Dasaratha? No, why would his Prince do such a thing? Had he offended the man? The boy knew he was dying, but all he could think about were his poor parents who would be left alone and forced to fend for themselves without him. “My Prince, why have you done such a thing to me? You have not only killed me, but my parents who depend so deeply on everything I do. They will not be able to fend for themselves without me by their sides. Yama will take me away, and with me he will take them.”

Dasaratha knelt by his side, promising to get him help, and to ease him of his pain. But he could not accept it. He knew that he was too far gone for it to matter. Prince Dasaratha had an excellent shot, and a vital point had been hit.


At least he would be dying by the hands of someone as magnificent as this man. At least if the lives of he and his parents had to be taken now, it would be by their majestic and noble Dasaratha. “If I am to die here, I am glad that it is by your hands. I would not have it any other way than by your magnificent shot. I do not fear death, and I do not hold a single grudge against you. Just let my parents know so that their minds may be at ease when they too pass.” The light then left his eyes with only happy thoughts of his parents filling his mind, and he could hear Yama calling his name. He followed, and days later so did his parents who could now see and enjoy the afterlife with him.

Image Information: Dasaratha and the Boy; Web Source: Wikimedia Commons.


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I decided to do a story in first person narrative about the boy that Dasaratha shot with his arrow when he was young. I wanted to show the scene from the boy who must have been quite confused, and show why he didn't mind dying. I wanted to show a happy ending where his parents were at least happy in the after life. I even kept the line said by the boy when he is shot in my story.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 
Image Information: A picture of Dasaratha and the boy he accidentally shot by the river. It was found at Wikimedia Commons.

2 comments:

  1. Lynze, great story! I really like how you picked a small portion of the story and expanded on it. I think you did a wonderful job with the imagery in this story. Based off of your style of writing, I feel as though I can picture all of the events in my head. Also, the way you write reminds me of a book about India. It is called "Nectar In a Sieve." I highly suggest that you read it! Once again, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynze, I loved your story and how you portrayed it in a first person point of view. I really enjoyed the details of your writing and it made me picture every scene as it was happening. The way you described the boy and how much he wanted his parents to be safe was really amazing. There he was, dying, but all he could think about was how his parents would survive after he is gone. It was really nice that you turned it into a happy ending by illustrating the boy being okay with Dasaratha shooting the arrow. Most people would have held a grudge, but the boy was actually mesmerized and respectful of Dasaratha. Overall, your writing is wonderful and I was easily able to connect your storytelling to the actual story as well. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete